From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:37:45 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        *Mapping Sustainability* course offered online in 2006
Date:   Fri, 2 Dec 2005
From:   Kevin Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

MAPPING FOR SUSTAINABILITY

Offered online starting late January 2006 at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design, this course
is intended for individuals in—or moving toward—a career in environmental education, eco-art,
urban geography, community planning, graphic design, activism, cartography, GIS analysis and
more.

MCAD is home to North America’s first certificate program in sustainable development and design.
That program in general, and this course in specific, are administered through the College’s
Distance Learning program and are available to anyone with access to a computer.

researcher. “Endless growth and over-consumption is dying, long live sustainable development!”
says a Swedish eco-planning consultant. This course explores the implications of these trends by
examining the causes and effects of sustainability and unsustainability as presented through
digital maps. We examine how the power of spatial data, art, and design can help us plan and
visualize more sustainable communities.

As instructor, I take an “open arm” approach to all comers in this course and hope that it fits the
needs of someone you know. My own training is in art, design, geography, and college education.

For a more details and specifics about the course, please visit:
http://faculty.mcad.edu/~kbyrne/protoplan.html

Big-picture info is at:
http://www.mcad.edu/showPage.php?status=1&pageID=1311

Cordially, J. Kevin Byrne