From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:44:28 -0600
Subject:        Death of Jean Ray
Date:   Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:14:33 -0600
From:   Harry O. Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I regret to share news of the passing of Jean Ray.  An obituary may be
seen at
http://www.townonline.com/cambridge/obituaries/view.bg?articleid=393582

(The obituary has one error: Jean retired in 1986, not 1968.)

I succeeded Jean after her retirement at Morris Library, Southern
Illinois University Carbondale, and was privileged to move into a map
library that she had left well-ordered and with the benefits of her
commitment to high quality map librarianship.  I still see that evidence
almost daily.

I knew Jean well before I came to Southern Illinois University through
her active conference participation and her outreach to the map library
community.  And she continued that commitment into her retirement
years.  I last saw her when visiting Boston about eight years ago and
she was still the robust map person that I had known years before.

It was a privilege to know her.  She will be  missed.

Harry Davis

Harry O. Davis
Map Librarian
Morris Library / MS 6632
605 Agriculture Drive
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, Illinois 62901

Phone:  618-453-2372 or 618-453-2705  <> FAX:  618-453-2704
Internet: [log in to unmask]