From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:45:22 -0600
Subject:        cataloging question: bathymetric formlines?
Date:   Fri, 23 Dec 2005
From:   Christopher Winters <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

We have a group of 19th-century maps by Felix Ansart that use what
appear to be bathymetric isolines in a, well, rather impressionistic
way to show fishing banks, approximate continental shelf boundaries,
etc.

In map-cataloging English, are these bathymetric form lines (that
would be noted in the 008 relf field by f), or, in light of the
limited knowledge of ocean depths at the time, should we charitably
call them bathymetric isolines--or perhaps forget we noticed them
at all?

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris Winters
University of Chicago Library