From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:03:51 -0600
Subject:        GIS session, American Historical Association, Philadelphia, 5
January
Date:   Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:56:57 -0700
From:   J. B. Owens <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angela Cope <[log in to unmask]>

From: Jack Owens, Idaho State University

I want to announce that there will be a roundtable discussion of the use
of GIS for historical research and teaching at the annual meeting of the
American Historical Association in Philadelphia.

Session 18, "Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and History:
Aggregating Data, Connecting Places, and Analyzing Processes," Thursday,
5 January 2006, 3:00-5:00 p.m., in Washington Room A of Loews
Philadelphia Hotel (p.85 of the printed program).

This is a joint session with the American Association for History and
Computing.

The panel leading the discussion consists of Zephyr Frank (Stanford
University), Anne Kelly Knowles (Middlebury College), John H. Long (The
Newberry Library), Ruth Mostern (University of California at Merced),
and J. B. "Jack" Owens (Idaho State University).

A roundtable discussion is a relatively new AHA session format. In order
to stimulate the discussion, we have taken advantage of another new AHA
format: the "precirculated" paper.

Each of us has written some sort of paper, dealing with one or more
aspects of the use of GIS, which is available online through the AHA's
meeting program, at the URL:

http://www.historians.org/annual/program.cfm

We hope that some of those who attend the session will read some or all
of the papers beforehand and come to the discussion with comments and
questions. Each of us will briefly summarize his or her paper, speaking
for no more than ten minutes, and the rest of the time will be available
for open discussion. You can read about our intentions in the opening
section of my "paper," which I have also made available as a web page:

http://www.isu.edu/~owenjack/AHA2006.html

There will also be a second session that focuses on GIS. It is entitled
"Mapping the World with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)" and is
part of the companion meetings of the Center for History and New Media
and the Community College Humanities Association. The session will be
held on Friday, 6 January, 9:30-11:00 a.m., in Room 103 of the Courtyard
Philadelphia Downtown (p. 106 of the printed program).

I hope that this information is helpful.

--
J. B. "Jack" Owens, Ph.D.
Professor of History & Guggenheim Fellow