From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:29:31 -0600
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: U.S. county-level relief data
Date:   Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:27:00 -0500
From:   Zellmer, Linda R <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

After getting two such questions in the space of a month (what is the
highest point in [NAME OF COUNTY]), I started compiling them for
Indiana. I have not gotten very far, as I have found that one must not
only look at the elevations in GNIS, you also have to look for
elevations of benchmarks
(http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl).

When I first started out, I found 3 high points that GNIS said were in
Monroe County, Indiana that were not actually in Monroe County, Indiana
(and submitted corrections for these to the USGS people who oversee
GNIS). When I finally figured out what GNIS said was the highest point
in Monroe County, I then tried to confirm it using topographic maps. The
highest point was 2 topo quads away from the highest point listed in
GNIS.

Needless to say, this is a project that is slowly evolving. I am also
using it as a training exercise for our students (they get practice
using GNIS and look at topo maps).

Finally, this is NOT a project that can be done using topographic maps
online. Agencies that think electronic is just as good as paper need to
reread the second paragraph (The highest point was 2 topo quads away
from the highest point listed in GNIS.)

This would be much easier in Arizona (15 counties) or Wyoming (23)
rather than Indiana, which has over 90 counties. However, once finished
I will post it on a web page. Linda Zellmer

Linda Zellmer
Head, Geology Library
Geology Building, Room 601
1001 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1405
Phone: (812) 855-2275 Fax: (812) 855-6614