From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:55:42 -0600
Subject:        How do you handle your map cataloguing ?
Date:   Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:41:23 -0700
From:   Jones, David (Library) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Folks

Please excuse the duplicate posting.

We've been facing an ongoing challenge in securing resources (staff) for
cataloguing our current acquisitions of monographic maps.  Our current
policy is to give full LC-MARC cataloguing to current (1995 +)
monographic maps. These records are in our Library's online catalogue.
I'm preparing some documentation and am looking for a snapshot of how
other map libraries/collections are coping.

In particular:

1)  Do you catalogue the maps into the main catalogue, or do you use an
alternate access tool?

If not into the main catalogue, what do you do?

2)  Who does the cataloguing?   Library's bibliographic services staff?
Map collection staff?     Outsourced?  Other approaches?

3)  Do you/they create MARC Records?

4)  Do you use LC Classification?

5)  Do you submit your map records to a utility (OCLC, RLIN, AMICUS,
etc.)?

Your input on these questions, and any other comments you may have, will
be most appreciated!

Many thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

David

David L. Jones, Map Librarian
William C. Wonders Map Collection
Science & Technology Library
1-26 Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J8
voice  (780)492-3433     fax   (780)492-2721
e-mail   [log in to unmask]