Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:48:31 -0600
Subject:        MARBI items of possible interest
Date:   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:16:58 -0600
From:   Susan Moore <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

After a few sessions where the Machine-Readable Bibliographic
Information Committee has had several items of interest to the
cartographic community, this time there isn't as much.

The big agenda item is Discussion Paper 2007-DP01, changes for the
German and Austrian conversion to MARC21. A member of the MAGERT CCC
Task Force on the MARC Holdings Format shared that the section on
mapping hierarchical structures in the context of multivolume works may
be of interest to that group (thanks, Paige!).

We've got another discussion paper on adding field 004 to provide
linking between bibliographic records in the MARC format.

A proposal that may be of interest is 2007-02 that would incorporate
former valid headings into MARC authority records so that automated
authority processes could handle more authority work.

Those are the items I think are of chief interest to the cartographic
community. You can get to the full agenda and all the proposals and
discussion papers at http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/mw2007_age.html

Susan Moore
MAGERT liaison to MARBI
University of Northern Iowa