Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:54:07 -0600
Subject:        Elsevier Encyclopedia: request for contributors
Date:   Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:52:43 -0500
From:   Jeremy W. Crampton <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

I am the cartography section editor for a new Encyclopedia being put out by Elsevier, the International Encyclopedia of Human Geography:

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/709246/description

I'd like to call on the expertise of this list because we still have a number of entries for which we have no contributors. I know there are a number of these kinds of projects around, not to mention the History of Cartography project itself (which I support), but let me just tell you a little about the Encyclopedia:

It is a major reference work (12 volumes, over 8,000 pages)
It will be accessible online and updated regularly there with comprehensive search capacities
Elsevier sees this project as a "flagship" of their company (they have done about 60 of these encyclopedias now)
It has a significant cartography section and maps will be one of the ten cross-cutting themes
There are about 75 cartography entries total

I have been involved in the project for a couple of years already and the encyclopedia will be published in September 2008.

Here are the entries for which we still need authors. If you or someone you know would be suitable for writing one or more of these entries PLEASE let me know. The deadline is 6 months from now so this is my last chance to get these topics covered. Entry length varies between 2-9,000 words.

--3D Mapping
--Atlases
--Biodiversity Mapping
--Cartographic Ethics
--Color and mapping
--Geodesy (Geoid, datum, spheroid, globe)
--Geosurveillance and privacy
--Graphing (information graphics)
--History of cartography (note!!!)
--Map accuracy and cartometry
--Maps and geopolitics
--Surveying
--Thematic mapping
--Topographic mapping

As you can see there are some very important topics here (including history of cartography!), but I'm afraid if we don't secure authors for these topics they will not be included. As this is an encyclopedia there is no expectation of original research, but an overview of the state of play in each field.

This is my last shot at finding authors, so PLEASE help, either by suggesting yourself or someone else. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find authors (1,100 entries total), even when Elsevier will pay you for your work! It is possible to reuse portions of your previously published work if you want.

thanks again,

(PS we did ask Peter van der Krogt for the entry on atlases but...)

__
Jeremy W. Crampton
Associate Professor and Graduate Director, Geography
Department of Geosciences
Georgia State University
Atlanta
GA 30303