From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:46:50 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Great Soviet World Atlas, vol. 2
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:48:21 -0400
From: "Weessies, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>

I have "The Great Soviet World Atlas, vol. 2".  The cover and title pages are in English but the actual maps are in Russian.

Published by The Central Executive Committee and
The Commissars of Soviet Nationalities
of the U.S.S.R.
by the decree of December 17, 1933
under the principal direction of
the Geodesy and Cartography Units, C.S.N.
U.S.S.R.

Moscow 1939

Reproduced by
The Branch of Research and Analysis
Office of Strategic Services
Washington, D.C.
February 1, 1943

Reprinted by
U.S. Army

The atlas looks like color photographs were taken of the original Russian atlas then glued onto study cardboard pages.  It is bound into a massive volume: about 18" tall, 14" wide and a solid 4" thick.  In terms of being an atlas it is not that great (being a reprint of a reproduction!): the color photographs are shrunk a bit and kind of fuzzy though readable.  But as to being a unique artifact of the US intelligence industry it has some significance.  Worldcat has no entries for this exact provenance.  My copy (the OSS reproduction) has three pages of table of contents which this doesn't have; I have photocopied those pages and will include them.  A rubber stamp in the cover identifies it as a former resident of the DIA library.  We probably got it through one of the Library of Congress summer internship programs.

It is somewhere between 10-20 pounds.  I'll send it to an institution that will add it to their library collection and will reimburse postage.

Kathleen Weessies
Maps/GIS Librarian
Michigan State University
100 Library W308