Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 13:16:12 -0500
Subject:        Outsourcing Map Cataloging
Date:   Tue, 22 May 2007 11:10:56 -0700
From:   Roger Knouff <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, I am the new Maps/GIS librarian for Arizona State University and
I have some questions for the list regarding outsourcing the cataloging
of maps.  ASU has approximately 23,000 to 30,000 maps that need to be
cataloged.

Does or has anyone outsourced the cataloging of a major portion of their
map collection?  Specifically, has anyone had experience with OCLC
Custom Cataloging (formerly TechPro) for maps cataloging?  Does anyone
have experience in transporting large amounts of map materials?

I thank you in advance for any wisdom that may be shared.

Roger Knouff
Map/GIS Librarian
Noble Science & Engineering Library
Arizona State University