Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:03:03 -0500
Subject:        Maynardville topo in NC?
Date:   Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:34:05 -0400
From:   Jeff Essic <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

According to "Map index to topographic quadrangles of the United
States, 1882-1940" by Moffat, Riley Moore, there is supposed to be a
30' topo in North Carolina named Maynardville, published in 1884.

I'm not familiar with a community by this name in NC.  Yes, Tennessee
has a Maynardville, but I can't find anything for NC, much less a map
by that name.

Could someone please help me by looking through the resources you may
have, such as a more extensive map collection, or other index maps, to
check and see if this might be a mis-print?  Or, if it is correct,
would someone be able to confirm that, and perhaps even provide a
scan?

I've put scans online of the two NC pages from Moffat's book, so you
can see what I'm talking about:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jfessic/NCHistTopos_Map.gif
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jfessic/NCHistTopos_Index.gif

The Maynardville topo map is shown as quadrangle #46, in somewhat the
northern central part of the state.

Thank you very much,
Jeff Essic

Jeff Essic, Data Services Librarian
North Carolina State University
D.H. Hill Library, Research & Information Services
Box 7111, Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/gis
(919) 515-5698