From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 08:49:18 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Rolled wall maps
Date:   Fri, 2 Dec 2005
From:   Eric S. Theise <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

[log in to unmask] writes:

> In the deep dark past, our conservation lab here at NYPL guillotined these
> rolled maps, which were designed for schoolroom use, and we do not have any
> schoolroom based associations, not being on campus.

Wow.  I take my students to the San Francisco Public Library, and
they have a few maps of this type that I ask them to bring out (one
is a slightly garish one on the tribes and languages of the native
California peoples, another is a minerals and geology map).  I
gather they're kept downstairs in storage, wrapped in brown butcher
paper or maybe kept in a tube or box, and I'm sure it annoys them
a bit that they have to rewrap them after we visit.

But my classes are a lot about maps as objects, and while none of
my students have made a roll-down classroom map (yet), they are an
important form that I'd almost forgotten about, and I'm glad some
are still accessible (and that I don't have to get some myself).

--Eric