From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:36:50 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: Rolled wall maps-withdrawal
Date:   Mon, 5 Dec 2005
From:   HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

The University of Florida Map & Imagery Library had approximately 400 classroom maps mounted on rollers until two years ago.  While we had purchased some, the majority were being stored for the History Dept. until their new building was finished.   Also there were some that had been transferred from the Geography Dept.  These maps were used mainly for classroom presentations or visiting speakers.  The maps were stored in some cardboard files that resembled letter filing cabinets which were sectioned off into 25 cubicles.  Each cubicle had alpha/numeric codes.

Several events happened, which led to the decision to eliminate all but a few dozen wall maps.  First the budget gurus decided that wall maps were classroom materials and should be purchased out of teaching dept. funds. Thus we could not purchase even new maps of Africa. Next the History Dept. decided it did not want the wall maps back.  Then space problems developed in the Map & Imagery Library when two new staff members were added and the Government Documents Dept. was moved into our adjacent area and we were incorporated their map cases.  Finally the number of requests for mounted wall maps decreased to mainly 6 professors wanting the same maps or an occasional speaker.  Usually our paper map collection or scanned materials served the purpose for most classes.

It took almost 6 months but we finally reduced the wall map collection to approx. 3 dozen maps.  Many of these are the larger encapsulated city/county maps of Florida that were available without rollers.  We also kept several older classic items for our area specialties of Florida, Latin America, Africa, and the Holy Lands. The rollers will be removed in the future. We had an original set of wall maps in an oak case which was purchased when the University of Florida was established.  This was sent to the University Archives for preservation storage. Finally we have some physical relief maps for continents which will not go out of date anytime soon.

For people contemplating this move, I have included above some of the reasons behind our taking this drastic step.  It was not an easy decision.  It should also be noted that we circulate our modern maps.  The following is what steps we took to find good homes for the maps.  None were thrown out!  We compiled a word document of all the maps to be eliminated and emailed it to the websites for the various teaching faculty as well as those who requested the maps each year.  They could have first claim on the maps by notifying me.  Almost half of the wall maps were claimed by people in Area Study Centers and various Academic depts. including the History Dept.  Many of their professors were unaware the maps were not returning to the dept.! After a second call to the faculty, we opened up the invitation to graduate students and others.  The whole event turned out to be like a swap meet without money.  A lot of happy people received maps.  It took a little staff time but was well w!
 orth it. Surprisingly it also turned out to be good PR for the Library.

We have had only a few requests for classroom maps since the clearing house experience. Partly this is because we have provided purchasing information to depts. wanting to update their maps.   We do referrals to the departments with the classroom maps. Furthermore the use of the Library's maps for PowerPoint presentations has increased significantly.

The maps we have retained are all cataloged and stored in the divided carts on wheels that resembled multiple umbrella stands.

Hopefully our experiences will be helpful to those considering the reduction of their wall map collection.  If any one wishes to discuss this situation, please feel free to contact me privately.
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Libraries