From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:56:11 -0600
maps-l

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Mexico GIS data
Date:   Thu, 8 Dec 2005
From:   Kollen, Chris <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hi:

I’m looking at some Mexico GIS data on the INEGI site at
http://www.inegi.gob.mx <http://www.inegi.gob.mx/> and have found a
couple of items of interest. I’m wondering if anyone knows anything
about them. The first is México. Información topográfica digital.
Conjunto de datos vectoriales y toponímicos. Carta topográfica escala 1:
1 000 000. It’s on CD-ROM, but it says it requires excel. (There’s
another product, Ortofotos digitales,* *that also says that it requires
excel). So is the software required a mistake? You can look at image
files in excel but the cd-rom I’m interested in says vector and
toponomic data, I’m assuming they mean shapefiles? Maybe I’m being too
optimistic!

Anyway if anyone has bought this product or knows anything about any of
INEGI’s products I would be very interested.

Another product I’m looking at is their IRIS product which is a
self-contained GIS program with a lot of very interesting geospatial and
statistical data that you download. Anyone know anything about it? Is it
safe to download? Is it difficult to use? Can I copy geospatial files
off of the program?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Kollen, Geography and Sociology Librarian
University of Arizona Library
P.O. Box 210055
Tucson, AZ 85721-0055
(520) 621-4869