From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:44:03 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Puerto Rican atlas
Date:   Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:30:44 -0500
From:   Bob Kibbee <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Angie,

We have it here at Cornell. This is quite an impressive production. I've
OCR'd some prefatory material by Professor John Reps which will give you an
idea of the scope:

Puerto Rico Urbano is a truly monumental work of urban history, planning,
and iconography that follows in the
tradition of the great Braun Hogenberg atlas of 16th century cities.
Although its geographic scope is obviously
more narrowly focused, it has the compensating advantage of identifying,
portraying, and analyzing in rich and
penetrating detail urban development in Puerto Rico from its colonial
origins to the present day. Its readers will find
in these four, large format, and richly illustrated volumes a remarkable
record of urban origins, planning, change,
and growth as recorded in words, maps, plans, photographs, and satellite images

This magisterial achievement by Professor Anibal Sepulveda had its origins
in 1983 when, as a Fulbright student
in Spain, he came across an extraordinary set of 69 beautifully executed
hand drawn and colored plans of Puerto
Rican towns, villages, and cities. That discovery inspired him to search
for other graphic images of the island
produced at other periods of development. For the Last twenty years he has
combed European and American
archives for the urban images and descriptions that make it possible for
him to document the urbanization of
Puerto Rico from its beginning in 1508 to the present time.

Accompanying this wealth of illustrative material are dozens of
contemporary accounts of towns and cities written
by officials, travelers, and residents of the period. Although some of
these reports, narratives, and observations
have been previously available in printed form, many are here transcribed
for the first time from rare and hitherto
little known or overlooked manuscripts in archival collections in Europe
and the Americas. Professor Sepulveda
has thus brought together both graphic and written evidence of the island's
urban life as it was first established,
grew and changed over the centuries.

The authors essays comment on, explain, and analyze this wealth of graphic
and written material. These go far
beyond mere descriptions of the 78 towns and cities that comprise the
island's urban setting. Professor Sepulveda
also examines the social and economic conditions prevailing during each
period of the island's history, and he
identifies and reviews the contributions of the cartographers, surveyors,
engineers, architects, and planners who
separately or together created the physical basis for its communities.

The atlas begins with of an extensive overview of Puerto Rican urban
development. There are then four groupings of documentary evidence based on
periods of Puerto Rican history, each in its own volume.  The urban areas
are presented in alphabetic order within each time period. Essentially each
volume is a lavishly illustrated dictionary encyclopedia of urban areas for
a particular time period. The documents illustrated are plans, sketches,
panoramic views, photographs, etc. There are additional essays for each
time period and separate indexes and bibliographies for each volume.

This is the only access to much of the material, which has been collected
from many different sources. So highly recommended for collections
supporting a Latin American/Caribbean studies program, or a City and
Regional planning program.

I'll be happy to provide more if needed.

                                                                                                                     Bob

At 01:42 PM 2/2/2006, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone seen this atlas or read a review for it?
>
>Puerto Rico urbano: atlas historico de la ciudad puertorriquena* (Complete
>Set of 4 Volumes) (Hardcover)*
>
>by Aníbal Sepúlveda Rivera
><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=An%EDbal%20Sep%FAlveda%20Rivera&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/102-4061250-6796951>
>(Author)
>
>    * *Publisher:* Plaza Mayor; 1st edition (January 1, 2005)
>    * *ISBN:* 0963342320
>
>There is a nice description of it on Amazon.com (in Spanish) but I'd
>sort of like another opinion.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Angie
>
>--
>
>.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._
>
>ANGIE COPE
>American Geographical Society Library
>UW Milwaukee
>2311 E. Hartford Avenue
>Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201
>
>http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
>Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
>(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)

Bob Kibbee
Map & GIS Librarian
Instruction, Research & Information Services (IRIS)
017 Olin Library, Cornell University
Ithaca,  New York    14853-5301
voice 607-255-9566 / fax 607-255-9346