From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:04:03 -0600
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: Plea for GeoExpress Help
Date:   Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:40:06 -0600
From:   Kent Lee <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Ann, List:

You might wish to consider several technical solutions:

1) There was a LizardTech MrSID Viewer available in 2002-2003 (presumably
for free).  It has been replaced by LizardTech/GeoExpress.  The older viewer
would allow one to extract GeoTIFFs out of MrSID files.  I am not sure if it
would work with the latest MrSID Generation 3 (MG3) compression format, but
it should work fine with older ones.  We checked our old viewer and it works
just fine to extract GeoTIFF, creating TIFF+ TFW + TAB files.

2) My favorite is GlobalMapper.  It can also be used in a batch mode,
although this functionality might be disabled in the free trial version.
However $250 for the licensed version seems not an unreasonable amount to
pay for such good software.

3) In ArcGIS you can export MrSID into GeoTIFF as well.

As you probably know, one thing to keep in mind is that when MrSID files are
getting decompressed to (Geo)TIFF, the file size will be 15-20 (typically)
times as large as for the original file.  Thus it might be the case that
your TIFF file will grow over its natural maximum limits (2Gb in size or
more than 32,000 pixels in any direction).  Some GIS packages would still be
able to handle such files, but not all of them.

Best,

Nick

Nick Nazarenko
Head, Geospatial Data Production