Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 16:07:38 -0500
Subject:        Re: Where to place the LOC Call Number and URL's in a FGDC
record?
Date:   Mon, 21 May 2007 13:20:13 -0700
From:   Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Right, there isn't any place in FGDC for
"classification number". For the Alexandria
Digital Library catalog - where access to
metadata is currently down due to major
server failure, although you can do searching
(http://webclient.alexandria.ucsb.edu) -
we decided to have both FGDC fields
and MARC21 fields for which there
was no FGDC equivalent be valid.
Then we parked our call number
in MARC 852|c.

From the looks of the way the
3 browse-graphic metadata fields
are defined in FGDC, they're intended
to be text descriptions, rather than URL linkages
(although one could make the perhaps
Jesuitical case that 1.10.1 "name of a related
graphic file" could be the URL of
the browse graphic name),
so 8.10 Online Linkage
looks like being the best place.
You might also be able to
make a case for putting it
under 6.54.2.2.1, "Online option: information
required to directly obtain the data set electronically" -
maybe "Network Address" or "Network Resource Name"?

Mary

Maps-L wrote:
> [...]

Mary Lynette Larsgaard
Director, Map Library
Assistant Head, Map and Imagery Laboratory
Davidson Library
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara CA 93106-9010
USA
voice: 805/893-4049; 2779, reference desk
fax: 805/893-8799