From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:23:27 -0500
Subject:        Re: ID'ing stolen maps confiscated in Montana...
Date:   Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:41:38 -0400
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

There are often more clues than just ownership stamps, which often do not
appear on maps in the interiors of larger works. Matching the tears or
razor cuts from the document and the map,  is one possibility, time
consuming, yes. Handwritten notations of any kind, unique to your library.
Remnants of the stamping on the page edges.

A better solution, all the libraries involved have reps sit down and
discuss how to divvy up the goods. And  move on.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, The Lionel Pincus & Princess Firyal Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask], 212-930-0589, fax 212-930-0027

Hours: 1-7:30 Tu & Wed, 1-6 Thurs-Sat.    Closed Sun, Mon.

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

         ID'ing stolen maps confiscated in Montana...

         Maps-L Moderator
                          to:
                             MAPS-L
                                                              04/07/2008 09:30 AM

         Sent by:
               "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"
        Please respond to maps-l