Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:27:09 -0600
Subject:        034 macro to enter degrees in OCLC Connexion client
Date:   Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:32:27 -0500
From:   Caplan,Ellen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

This message is in response to queries by Ken Grabach and Mary
Larsgaard, which I read in the Jan 11 digest, concerning the 034 macro
in the client macrobook.  I checked with Robert Bremer who wrote that
macro and he said that he knows it is broken.  Up until today he had had
only one query about this.  This macro broke when we implemented several
new special characters in client 1.50 in June 2006. The macro expects a
superscript 0, not the degree sign.  It does not know how to parse the
data and place it field 034.

Unfortunately a fix did not make it into client 1.60.  So Robert is
interested in knowing if there are other map catalogers using this
macro. It is possible that he could fix it earlier than the next version
of the client and put that macro out on the client web site for you to
download. If others are using this macro, please contact me off the list
and I will pass this information along to Robert.

In the meantime there are two workarounds.  First: You could enter the
coordinates in field 255 with the superscript 0 and run the current
macro. Then you would have to go back to correct the superscript to the
degree sign in field 255. Second: you could just enter both the 255 with
degrees and then enter the 034 data without use of the macro.

Ken also mentioned that he did not like how the degree sign, miagkii and
tverdii znak display. This is related to the font that is used for
displaying Unicode. There is not really anything we can do about this.

Our apologies for this inconvenience.  I will keep you posted on what
Robert decides to do. If you have any more questions about this, please
feel free to contact me.

Ellen

Ellen Caplan
OCLC, Inc.