Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:32:47 -0600
Subject:        RE: BLM maps
Date:   Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:35:15 -0700
From:   Katie Lage <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Debra and MAPS-L folks,
I am the WAML representative to the Cartographic Users Advisory
Committee (CUAC) and the liaison to the BLM. When I first started on
CUAC in 2005 I received requests from a number of map librarians to talk
to the BLM about why maps were now being sent folded. Everybody seemed
to prefer flat: better for preservation of the maps ("every fold becomes
a tear"), the folds can be an issue in scanning or digitizing maps,
they'd been coming flat for years, etc.. My contact at the BLM said that
he had not intended to change the way the maps were being sent, but that
they had switched printing vendors and there had been a mix-up. He said
he'd talk with the vendor about it and--voilą--they are back to being
sent flat.

As to the shipping lists, I believe that my contact said the problem
with the folded maps arose when he changed to a private vendor. He
didn't say he would switch back to the USGS for the printing, but maybe
that's what happened. I checked on our shipments and we are getting them
with the USGS shipments now, instead of with the rest of the GPO
shipment as we did when they were folded.

The CUAC minutes from our last meeting can be found here:
http://cuac.wustl.edu/annualmtg2006.htm. (There's not much there about
the BLM maps, but there's tons of other helpful information.)

Katie

Katie Lage
Map Librarian
Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library
University Libraries
University of Colorado at Boulder
184 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309