From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:35:21 -0600
Subject:        RE: : Where is Meumelin
Date:   Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:25:46 -0000
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

This question has just been answered by Dr Peter van der Krogt on 'MapHist' -

"This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the whole list) o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Maybe Saint-Momelin in present-day France, see
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Momelin
See also
http://www.patrimoine-de-france.org/oeuvres/richesses-72-20282.html
on the Buste-reliquaire de saint Momelin à Saint-Momelin (59)

The "o" is in Dutch dialects often pronounced and
written as "eu" (a vowel without English
equivalent, sounding like oeu in the French boeuf, but longer)

This part of France was originally part of Flanders.

Peter"