From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:48:49 -0500
Subject:        Looking for an expert on Southeastern maps
Date:   Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:25:56 -0500
From:   Kelsey Bates <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Good afternoon,

I am with the Birmingham Public Library archives in Birmingham, Alabama. We are applying for a Preservation and Access
Grant from the NEH in July to start phase one of a three or four phase project to identify and describe, catalog, conserve, and eventually
rehouse our map and print collection. Phase one will basically include identifying, describing, and cataloging, with some stabilizing of the
map collection to prepare it for rehousing. The print collection--which we are finding is larger than we thought--will be dealt with in a later
phase.

We are looking for a map expert--someone who is familiar with historic maps (from the 16th through the 20th century with most of the collection focusing on the age of discovery and the Southeast), their conservation, and their cataloging. Although we have identified librarians to do the actual cataloging and digitizing work, none of these are true experts in the field of cartography. We need someone who will consult with us throughout the project (over a period of about 2 years),
probably on a monthly basis, and provide expertise on all aspects of the project. I'm wondering if any of you can recommend someone (or yourself) preferably in the Southeastern region of the US?

I appreciate any suggestions, Kelsey

--
Kelsey Scouten Bates
Assistant Archivist/Grants Writer