From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:57:37 -0500
Subject:        MAGERT Map Collection Management Discussion Group at ALA
Date:   Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:02:16 -0500
From:   Janet B. Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

*MAGERT's Map Collection Management Discussion Group* will meet at the
2008 ALA Annual Conference:
        Saturday, June 28th, 4:00-5:30pm
        Anaheim Convention Center room 212 B

Please join us in "open discussion" about a range of management topics
that we identified at ALA Mid-Winter.  Come share your experiences and
knowledge and learn from one another's strategies on:
-  tackling the backlogs of map cataloging; outsourcing
-  managing digitization/scanning projects
-  creating online indexes for print and digital map resources
-  providing the essential metadata records for geospatial data, and
"crosswalking" information into catalog records
-  marketing and publicity for map collections
-  developing "triage" management - cataloging, preservation, and security.

At the end of the discussion, we will solicit your ideas for images to
illustrate our document /Map Collection Security Guidelines /and will
offer a "sneak preview" of our administrative summary of the guidelines.

Remember, this group invites participation of librarians from all sizes
and types of libraries, from small to research libraries, which maintain
"map collections."  I look forward to your participation in our
discussions on Saturday afternoon.

     Jan Dixon,  Discussion Group Coordinator

Jan Dixon
Geosciences Librarian
Reference / Collection Management
University of Arkansas Libraries