From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:25:30 -0500
Subject:        FW: The NGMDB Data Portal
Date:   Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:18:37 -0500
From:   Doug Behm <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

On Behalf Of David R. Soller
Subject: The NGMDB Data Portal

The development of a Web-mapping system to deliver compelling and
useful images of geologic maps, and the data behind them, is a
difficult task, as you well know.  I'm pleased to notify you that the
NGMDB Data Portal, collaboratively developed by AASG and USGS, is
(finally) publicly available.  I invite you to visit the Portal
(http://maps.ngmdb.us/dataviewer/) and to send me comments.

In the long-term, this Portal is intended to give users a quick,
integrated, browse-and-query "glimpse" of map data published by many
agencies, and to direct them to the source information.  Like the
NGMDB Map Catalog, it's another way for people to find your maps.  It
helps people find publications, but in a more visual way, and gives
them an overview of a region's geology

Portal features include:
-  National-scale bedrock and surficial maps, and four state-scale maps,
-  a Dynamic Legend that shows only the map units within the field of
view,
-  a new Geologic Materials classification, designed to help the
layman by bringing these maps into a unified view, using simple terms
and definitions,
-  a simplified back-end database whose design and science
terminologies are related to the new "NCGMP09" design,
-  integration with other NGMDB databases (Map Catalog and Geolex)
that provides users with information about the geologic units and
source maps, and
-  links to the source maps and related Web-mapping systems, in the
state geological surveys.

Please consider this Portal to be a proof of concept, warts and all,
and as a stimulus for discussion regarding how geological surveys
could work more closely together on an issue of mutual concern --
managing and serving our products to the public.  It is a prototype,
and as such, now undergoes evaluation.  Its future will be based
mostly on the comments received in the coming months.

Last but certainly not least, I wish to sincerely thank the
cooperators in this endeavor, the Oregon Department of Geology and
Mineral Industries, Washington Division of Geology and Earth
Resources, Idaho Geological Survey, Arizona Geological Survey, and
Portland State University.

Dave

Geoscience resource for maps and related data
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/