From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:54:40 -0500
Subject:        RE: Cataloging non-published GIS data sets
Date:   Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:47:32 -0500
From:   Youngblood, Dawn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Angie

Great question.  I have made efforts to encourage researchers to deposit data sets with the library for preservation and access, but have met resistance.  Apparently, most researchers are more interested in retaining personal control over their data than they are in sharing or preserving it... I would be interested to know if other libraries have succeeded in GIS data curation. I do know of a group that is working on the issues and problems of GIS data curation at the University of Illinois... If you like, I can ask them to weigh in on thieir progress... As for me, I must admit I never got beyond the first step of the faculty I knew were creating data sets worthy of curation and their total disinterest in having them be curated by the library.  Therefore, no, I have not had cataloged non-published GIS data sets.

Best.

Dawn Youngblood, PhD
Curator, Edwin J. Foscue Map Library
Southern Methodist University