From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:52:39 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Claudene A Sproles" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2009 10:34:21 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Flooding in Louisville

Everyone-

We wanted to send an update about the flooding in Louisville, Kentucky.

The University of Louisville's Ekstrom Library suffered minimal damage in the basement, where Technical Services and depository processing are located.  Our Shelf Prep and Bindery areas had a few inches of standing water but most materials were on carts and were saved.  Actually, I don't think we lost any materials.  We came back today to wet carpet and muddy tile floors which, in my opinion, is a blessing compared to what the Louisville Free Public Library (LFPL) suffered.

LFPL suffered severe damage to their Main Library.  Several feet of water entered the lower level of the building which contained Technical Services, Facilities, Shipping & Receiving, Library Technology, 3 Bookmobiles, and offices for Children's Librarians.  Damage is conservatively estimated at $5 million. They lost at least 50,000 books, the HVAC system, 3 bookmobiles, all of the building's electrical system, and all of the computer networking equipment.  Their website, email, catalog, everything is down and I don't know when it will be back up.  All branches except Main & Shawnee are open today though.  You can read more about the damage at :

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090805/NEWS01/908050391.

We've not been able to reach the Depository Staff since they work at Main.  I do know that their depository collection is on the second floor of the library which did not flood.  So, unless they had  some materials hidden away in lower level storage (which I don't think they do), the depository collection is fine.

If you need additional information or need to pass a message to LFPL please let me know.  I'm not sure when they will have email access again.

Thanks,
Claudene Sproles
&
Angel Clemons