Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:03:20 -0600
Subject:        GPO stats + MARCIVE
Date:   Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:58:43 -0500 (EST)
From:   Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Recent discussion on the list and the query from Dawn Youngblood let me to
look at my pile of 'problem' children, all of which have come from the
government.

This search also led me to look at the Shipping Lists site that we were
reminded of:
        http://fedbbs.access.gpo.gov/fdlp01.htm

I have 2 questions about recent arrivals:

Dawn cites receiving 114 aeronautical charts last year. While I'm not sure
how many I received, I did just receive my first TPC ever (keep in mind
I've only been the map librarian here for 2 years).  I had thought that
NGA/DMA had stopped shipping these after 9/11.  Are these maps going to
start arriving regularly again?

A couple shipments late last year included maps of a type that used to
come with MARCIVE records, but these maps didn't.  A specific example:
from Shipping list 2006-04-TS, dated 08/10/2006 (on the web page it's
dated 11/20/06), the first 5 maps did not include records.  However, other
'Ecoregions...' maps, the previous versions of Chuuk (my favorite country
name!), and earlier Antarctic Satellite Image Maps ALL arrived with
records, barcodes, etc.

This type of randomness seems to be normal for FDLP:  sometimes BLM
Surface Management Status / Mineral Management Status Maps have recrods
and barcodes, sometimes they don't; sometimes the shipping list records
lag behind the physical items, sometimes they arrive first.  Does anyone
have a good grip on this?  My cataloging folks don't report any problems
with the bulk record loads, so I don't have much reason to suspect the
randomness is on my end.  Is this something that you all have learned to
live with?

-Jon Jablonski
 confused map librarian, University of Oregon.