From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:40:20 -0600
Subject:        Re: Captured Nazi maps
Date:   Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:57:04 -0800
From:   Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

>        A number of western public libraries and universities, such as
> University of Arizona Library, Tucson, AZ; University of Arkansas Library,
> Fayetteville, AK; University of California Library, Berkley, CA; Claremont
> College Library, Claremont, CA; Hoover Library, Stanford University,
> Stanford, CA; San Diego Public Library, San Diego, CA; California
> Academy of
> Science Library, San Francisco, CA; University of Colorado Library,
> Boulder,
> CO; University of Hawaii Library, Honolulu, HI; Department of Geology,
> Carleton College, Northfield, MN; Department of Geography, University of
> Oklahoma, Norman, OK; Oklahoma State Library, Oklahoma City, OK; Oregon
> State
> College Library, Corvallis, OR; Fondren Library, Southern Methodist
> University, Dallas, TX; State College of Washington Library, Pullman, WA
> and
> many others, benefited from the distribution of these captured maps by the
> Army Map Service, US Army Corps of Engineers.

Ooh---someone has access to the original shipping records!  Oregon State
College Library is now the Oregon State University Valley Library and I
likely now have possession of these maps.  Although alas, like many of
our collections, they remain uncataloged (and even if they were
cataloged, I'm not sure we would have captured the information that the
came from OSU).  Some of the ones I have are especially interesting as
they are printed on the backs of old maps (which if I remember
correctly, were Russian maps).  So perhaps captured twice?  Would that
be double booty?

-Jon Jablonski
 University of Oregon WWII booty custodian.