From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 08:29:45 -0600
Subject:        RE: detailed South African shapefiles?
Date:   Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:16:02 +0200
From:   Alka Ramnath <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Hi

Happy New Year! :)

The smallest spatial, socio-demographic unit applicable for the entire
country is from our Census data.The South African Census is undertaken
by Statistics South Africa and the smallest unit is the enumerator area.
However, the data per enumerator area is not released due to privacy
concerns and therefore the smallest unit that one can use is the
"sub-place".

The last Census was undertaken in 2001 and the next Census will be
undertaken this year.

Information on Census 2001 (and other population statistics) is
available at_http://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/populationstats.asp_.

I would recommend that you contact Statistics SA directly so that you
could set up a formal relationship with them for your research purposes
(instead of me just sending the shapefiles to you).

If you would like to know about other sources of information, please do
not hesitate to contact me and I will help where I can.

Thank you. :)

Regards,

Alka

*Alka Ramnath*

*Planner*

*BScHons (Natal) MTRP (UKZN)******MSAPI*

*Planning Services*

*Umgeni Water*

*P.O. Box 9, Pietermaritzburg, 3200, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa*

*Tel: 033 341 1115 Fax: 033 341 1218 Cell: 083 303 4548*

*Email:******[log in to unmask]*<mailto:[log in to unmask]>