From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:44:36 -0500
Subject:        Social Explorer adds Census Maps and Data from 1790 to 1930.
Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:04:15 -0400
From:   Andrew A Beveridge <[log in to unmask]>

To:     Maps-L

Social Explorer adds Census Maps and Data from 1790 to 1930.

.       Now Provides Entire History of US Population Change from 1790 to
2000
.       Over 3200 Maps and Thousands of Variables Paint a Picture of US as
It Settles and Expands

Social Explorer, (www.socialexplorer.com) released a beta version of maps
and reports based upon data at the county level that provide the entire
history of US Population Change from 1790 to 2000.  Using US Census data
along with boundaries created by the NHGIS (www.nhgis.org) it provides
subscribers the most complete tool available to explore and track U.S.
demographic changes.  Reports are available for 1790 to 1930 using virtually
all of the variables available.  Using a data server, subscribers also can
download these data and use them for their own analyses.  A very limited
subset of these data are available publically.

Also released is a visualization of population change in the United States
from 1790 to 2000, where one can literally watch the United States expand
and settle.  Based upon Social Explorers' slideshow feature, registered
users are able to store and reuse their own slide shows. To access this
visualization go to the file menu on the maps page and click "All Public"
and then the relevant visualization:  1790 to 2000 Population Density.  The
visualization is avaiable on both the public and the subscription versions.

Social Explorer provides demographic information in an easily understood
format: data maps along with reports.  These new data are at the county
level from 1790 to 2000. Social Explorer includes census tract data from
1940 to 2000 and other data for more recent years.  Data on religious
adherents is available for 1980 through 2000.  Our next release will include
the 2006 American Community Survey, and change from 2000 to 2006.

At this point, this new release and the data server are in beta, and we
expect that there may be problems or issues.  We also are planning to add a
few more feature. We invite all of our users to try out the new maps and
reports in beta and send an comments or questions to:

Major support for Social Explorer was provided by the National Science
Foundation.  Other support includes the New York Times, Queens College and
the City University of New York.

Andrew A. Beveridge
Prof of Sociology Queens College and Grad Ctr CUNY Chair Queens College
Sociology Dept
Office:  718-997-2848
Email:  [log in to unmask]
252A Powdermaker Hall