From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:48:16 -0600
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Karen Myers" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:43:42 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Old roads project in VA - Thanks for suggestions

Thanks to everyone who has sent me some suggestions for followup on the old roads potential project in VA. I'm very grateful for the wide variety of interesting leads already received.

One final question (for now), which is perhaps a little off topic so I beg your indulgence: does anyone know of a website or other collection service for grassroots history buffs to record their information (e.g., "here's all the arrowheads I found and where", "here's the local family history of X in town Y", "here's the military decorations for regiment Z and its history", etc.)? This is the sort of thing that might go in a shoebox to the local historical society to molder on a shelf somewhere, if it didn't make it into a self-published pamphlet.

If such a repository were to exist, it should probably have an institutional owner for long term amateur historical information preservation. What would be the appropriate target institution(s), beyond the hundreds of local historical societies?

Thanks!

Karen Myers

[log in to unmask] (email)

540-554-8334 (home)