From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 10:58:04 -0500
Subject:        Re: Cataloging policy and practice for maps extracted from
atlases
Date:   Fri, 16 May 2008 11:42:13 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Hello Harry!

My initial reaction is that I've seen enough maps
over time that have been removed from their
original source, whether historical or not, and
cataloged them as needed -- and because as you
noted on their own as individual maps they
provide great added intellectual value to a
collection. While it is admirable that your
institution's administrators are on the high
moral ground over this issue, if you have
received said maps removed from historical
atlases as gifts, as opposed to doing the
breaking yourself, do we not have an obligation
to make them known to our researchers for the
greater good? By hiding them in a map case and
not doing anything positive with them those
particular maps that have not been cataloged by
others will remain unknown and unused. There is
probably a large universe of bibliographically
uncontrolled maps "out there" that reside within
books, journals, atlases, and other items waiting
to be discovered and shared, why not take the
proactive step of cataloging those items that
come your way, and also if the information is
available, identify the source of the individual
map. I do not believe that the act of cataloging
or describing these maps implies that one is
condoning the practice of removing them from
their published source document. In fact, many
have argued that cataloging acts as a means to
assist in the process of re-connecting a given
stolen map with its home institution, one more
reason to allow for these materials to be
cataloged even though the means in which they
became "individualized" is a negative one.

Sincerely,

Paige