From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 11:30:41 -0500
Subject:        Re: Cataloging policy and practice for maps extracted from
atlases
Date:   Fri, 16 May 2008 12:12:28 -0400
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

So many extant printed maps have been removed from books (which is how
they survived)  that I think it is unnecessary to react in this fashion.
This type of policy would not likely to do anything other than remove
that institution from obtaining many worthwhile acquisitions that are
legally on the market. It is no stretch to say that the vast majority of
maps circulating in the commercial antiquarian markets fall into this
category. As much as all of us would like to prevent theft and apprehend
thieves, this measure would be extreme, and I doubt one could ever get
broad consensus for such an action. I would certainly not be in favor of
this type of institutional policy. Although I am an antiquarian map
dealer, I also have very strong ties to libraries on a non-commercial
basis, and have seen some wonderful map exhibits that could never have
existed if the purchase of all "extracted" maps were declined. And I
would posit that the vast majority of those exhibited maps were not, in
fact, stolen.

I would ask another question. Is it necessary that every book once bound
be kept intact? (This is really rhetorical, as I am not attempting to
stir another hornets' nest.)

                  Joel Kovarsky