From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 15:20:37 -0500
Subject:        re: Locking and securing map cases
Date:   Fri, 23 May 2008 10:02:00 -1000
From:   Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Aloha Carol,

Please take a look at the WAML Information Bulletin for two photoessays
on locking map cases.

--"Map Case Security Device, v. 27, no.1, Nov. 1995.  The University of
Hawaii Library's "homemade solution" to securing map cases using "L"
brackets, metal pipe, padlock, and a length of steel bar or chain is
demonstrated.

--"Safe Storage of Maps and Oversize Flat Items at the Alaska State
Library's Historical Collection", by Artemis BonaDea, v28, no.3, July
1997.  A locking system similar looking to the Medeco and "multi-lock
swing-open security bars" is described.

The topic has also appeared on previous discussions here on Maps-L, so a
search of the archives may prove fruitful.

Some comments to your particular situation:

-          Stacking cases higher than the manufacturer’s recommended
height may void warranties.

-          Some brands of map cases can be bolted together, and not just
sit on top of each other unsecured.  Bolted cases may be safer.  Do you
live in an earthquake zone?

-          Stacking map cases 5-units high may present some concerns to
vertically challenged and acrophobic map assistants.  Stable
ladders/step stools will be needed, and safe map filing techniques MUST
be employed.

-          Check with a building engineer to be sure that your floors
can bear the weight of increased maps and map cases.

-          Lining up a rigid locking bar becomes more problematic as you
increase map case height.  Chains may be easier to use.

-          Ask at your local home renovation and hardware stores for
sources of steel and aluminum “L” or “C” bars.  You can also search the
yellow pages under “building material”.

I am neither an engineer nor expert on map cases, but I personally would
not like them stacked higher than 4-units just on the
safety/accessibility issue alone.

Good luck!

Ross

Ross Togashi, Map Technician
and WAML Photoessay Editor

University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Hamilton Library
2550 McCarthy Mall
Honolulu, HI   96822
ph. (808) 956-6199     fax (808) 956-5968
email: [log in to unmask]
http://magis.manoa.hawaii.edu/index.html