From:
Maps-L Moderator for Petr Pridal alias Klokan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:46:18 -0500
Subject:        Re: Georeferencing software
Date:   Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:44:44 +0200
From:   Klokan Petr Přidal <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hello,

I would like mention a link to the website where we are collecting
information related to georeferencing process of scanned maps in
libraries. The page includes links to several open-source projects and
some tutorials:

http://help.oldmapsonline.org/georeference

In case you know about a tool or material which should be mentioned in
that page, please let me know. I will add it...

The page is part of OldMapsOnline.org project - where we are
developing and improving open-source tools for publishing, processing
and georeferencing of old maps. Project is covered by Moravian Library
in Brno and funded by Ministry of Culture of Czech Republic and is
scheduled till 2011.

The main result should be a suggestion of complete workflow for old
maps in libraries and similar institutions.

Maps published according our workflow will overlay Google Maps and
similar web maps (look at our example:
http://www.maptiler.org/example-usgs-drg-grand-canyon-gtiff/), will be
indexed by a geographic search engine and available for mash-ups and
map synthesis in the style of this prototype:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbghIO7bmcM

We already modified several open source projects, we published
MapTiler (http://www.maptiler.org/), now we are working on freely
available JPEG2000 image server - based on IIPImage
(http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/) as an alternative for Djatoka and
commercial image servers.
We have also several web based tools under development: for online
georeferencing of already published scanned maps, for visual
definition of bounding box on top of Google Maps/OpenStreeMap in
MARC21 034 and DublinCore Box formats, for mathematically correct map
coordinate transformation (based on Proj4), for automatic KML
generation, OAI-PMH-based metadata exchange etc.
For more information have a look at our blog (or subscribe the RSS):

http://blog.oldmapsonline.org/.

Best regards,

Mgr. Petr Pridal alias Klokan
--
Independent programmer and consultant specialized in web technology,
map publishing and open-source software development living in