From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:32:15 -0500
Subject:        1847 chart by Capt. Henry Kellett, R.N.
Date:   Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:26:59 -0700
From:   Matthew Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I have a patron doing place name research and would like to know if
anyone has an original chart surveyed by Capt. Henry Kellett, R.N. from
1846/1847? Below is an excerpt (for background) of our dialog thus far
regarding his request:

*Patron reply -* I really need the original 1847 from Kellett. What I'm
trying to do is trace place names from Wilkes through Kellett, then Alden
and finally Richards (which is the first chart below that you reference).
Any idea where I might find Kellett? I've tried BC Archives and an archive
in England with no success.

*UW Map Collection -* There are two nautical chart reprints in our
collection that mention Henry
Kellett’s 1847 surveys. Neither of them are directly BY him, they just say
that they use his survey work
Here are titles, and links to the catalog descriptions:

1.Strait of Juan de Fuca / surveyed by Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., 1847 ;
Haro & Rosario Straits by Captain G.H. Richards, R.N. ; Admiralty Inlet and
Puget Sound by the United States Exploring Expedition, 1841 ; Coast
south of
C. Flattery by the same in 1853.

<http://catalog.lib.washington.edu/record=b4516793~S6>
this description includes a further link to an image “connect to this item
online”

2. North America--West Coast, Strait of Juan de Fuca and the channels
between the continent & Vancouver Id. : showing the boundary line between
British & American possessions / from the Admiralty surveys by Captains H.
Kellett, R.N. 1847, & G.H. Richards, R.N. 1858-62

<http://catalog.lib.washington.edu/record=b4517536~S6>