From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 16:15:53 -0500
Subject:        RE: SimplyMap Database
Date:   Wed, 6 Oct 2010 16:23:27 -0400
From:   Redmond, Edward James <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

Greg:

Here at LC we subscribe to SimplyMap (www.simplymap.com) but we only bought one seat ($7,500 or so last I checked) and limit access to the Geography and Map RR and Business RR.

One can export maps as shapefiles and data in a spreadsheet form but, unless I am mistaken, one cannot import data.  The data that they use is generally Census data but they also offer some business related data from other sources.

One caveat - if you are thinking of ordering I would go for a free trial as we ran into issues about the size of the desktop. Fortunately, we were able to work with SimplyMap and they changed the design of the desktop slightly to accommodate us. (We wound up getting larger monitors for other reasons anyway.)

A similar resource to which we also subscribe is PolicyMap - www.policymap.com

Ed Redmond
LC, G&M