From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:59:16 -0600
Subject:        RE: shipments of US topos?
Date:   Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:55:32 -0600
From:   Coombs, James <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Coincidently, Russ Caton, a Missouri State Univ. alum and now a cartographer at USGS, Rolla, paid me a visit yesterday. He was excited about the 125th Anniversary for Topographic Mapping and the new series of digital topographic maps, so I asked him about this issue.  He is a proponent of paper topo maps, and said the decision to offer the new topos in digital format only was made by folks in the USGS administration who obviously don't actually use topos in the field.

He thinks the 'digital only' decision is a mistake and he will do what he can to change it.

Jim

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Duane G Meyer Library