From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 09:27:55 -0500
Subject:        question about Japanese maps of parts of Asia
Date:   Thu, 22 May 2008 16:49:58 -0700
From:   Julie Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps-L <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, all,

A number of years ago we took over the East Asia Map Collection from the
Hoover Library on campus.  I'm really struggling to get any sort of
bibliographic control over these maps.  They are Japanese topographic
maps of Siberia, Mongolia, Korea, China, and maybe Taiwan.  The only
thing I can read are the lat/long markings.  The maps date from around
the 1930s and 40s.  They came from the AMS Map Collection and have AMS
map numbers on them.  The numbers don't seem to convey a lot of
meaning.  Each sheet has a distinct number: AMS 914061, for example.

I have had a bit of help from the Japanese and Chinese catalogers here
at our East Asian Library, but this will require a lot more time than
they can devote to it.  With their help I was able to identify that one
set was of Siberia at 1:100,000 and it turns out that set is also held
at UC Berkeley.  Thanks to Fatemah van Buren for her help with providing
an index!

What I'm wondering is if any of you kind folks have copies of these maps
in your collection, if you have indexes for them, if you know anything
about them, or if you can point me in the right direction for some help.

I can also scan a few of the maps for comparison's sake in case someone
thinks they may have something similar.

I would really appreciate any help I can get.  I've got literally
thousands of these maps and really don't want to have students separate
them into sets by lat/long!

Thanks,

Julie

--