Sender:
"Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:23:25 -0500
Subject:        improved access to Iowa Maps Digital Collection
Date:   Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:29:23 -0500
From:   McInroy, Mary R <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Just an announcement that the main access point
(http://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/maps) to our digital county land ownership
atlases and other maps at Iowa has changed.

All maps (9,000+ items, including aerial photo indices) in the Iowa
Digital Library are now accessible via one search page with enhanced
functionality. Patrons can now browse by a number of specific criteria,
including place names and map formats.

Searching capabilities are limited by the software we use to mount the
entire Iowa Digital Library on the web. There is no ability to do
Boolean searches on this set-up, e.g., maps of Crawford County from
1920-1930.  But this is a definite improvement over earlier search
capabilities.   Creating this umbrella site necessitated re-tooling
existing metadata to make sure new searches were effective and
complete.  From now on out, however, the metadata will do what we want.

Mary McInroy

Reference & Library Instruction/ Map Collection

University of Iowa Libraries Iowa City, IA 52242-1420

(319)335-6247

FAX: (319)335-5900

e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>