From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:23:20 -0500
Subject:        Re: Subject: SVG topo map of US + ponies on Assateague Island
Date:   Mon, 03 Aug 2009 04:48:51 -0700
From:   Virginia R. Hetrick, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, folks -

Thanks for the ideas, guys.  One of the reasons I'm pretty much focused
on SVG is that mobile devices don't gracefully display older format
images such TIFFs and other images such as JPGs.  Chrome, the browser on
my own Google phone, and similiar mobile browsers as well as Java, again
on my own G1, very nicely does the newer format for images in the form
of PNGs, but again not all mobile devices do so gracefully.  I suspect
as most mobile devices use *x as their operating system instead of
proprietary operating systems this will change, but not for me to have
this project finished by the end of the month so it will work on most
mobile devices. I got personally hooked when I wrote my first Java
applet specifically for my G1 and then modified several other Java
applets that I've written to support my everyday work so they'd run
nicely on my G1!

An additional issue for mobile devices is that TIFFs are always a huge
file and downloading a TIFF to a mobile device, especially if it's not a
"real" 3G device, just takes too darn long.  JPGs are much smaller, but
break up on zooming.  GIFs can also be smaller, but the color fidelity
on older mobile devices isn't so hot.

I'm still looking for the projected SVG topographic map of ALL the
states so I can break out the individual states and place the requisite
layers on each one and make a single web page where the users can access
the one that's pertinent to them for a particular day.

And, to answer Frank's question, I didn't see a single pony while I was
on Assateague during the road trip. I did hear them early on Friday
morning and went looking, albeit unsuccessfully. I went to GW starting
in 1960.  So, I remember going to Assateague from about 1961 onwards
(even before Assateague became a National Seashore) and seeing
semi-gigantic herds of ponies and the numerous associated piles of
poop!  Even then, that was a hazard when walking on the island.

Thanks again for the ideas.

\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
0      Email:  [log in to unmask]
Oo     "There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.gif