From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:59:31 -0500
Subject:        Re: Virginia's Earthquake
Date:   Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:57:57 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hey David, since State College is quite a bit closer to the epicenter of
yesterday's quake we indeed felt it strongly here on the Penn State
campus. Being from Seattle, where there are numerous faults under Puget
Sound and of course the surrounding region, I've felt a couple before in
the past so I knew what it was instantly and was standing in my office
doorway in a heartbeat. It lasted about 20 seconds and came in two
waves. Thankfully, it was a "rolling" feeling, like being on a small(er)
boat in choppy waves, rather than a hard rattle -- nothing fell off of
walls or shelves. But, you could see walls swaying so that was a little
spooky. No damage reported either on campus or around the local area
though, we did not evacuate buildings and there was no disruption of
traffic of any kind. No aftershocks to date either.

Paige