From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:16:42 -0500
Subject:        Re: Fw: USGS 30' (1:125,000) index needed
Date:   Thu, 4 Nov 2010 14:56:17 -0400
From:   lrefreston <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
CC:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Dear Dr. Whyte,

In reference to your inquiry regarding a 1:125,000 scale map index,
after an thorough search we were not able to locate a singular
electronic index source for this reference.  There are numerous State
agencies and Universities which have compiled their own indices, but
these usually only document certain States for which they have a need
for this type of reference.  After performing a Google search (1:125,000
USGS topographic map index), I was able to locate a number of websites
with varying content for specific States, none of which contained a
complete record for this map series.  We have an internal database
(MapCat) which allows us (USGS) to generate text reports for many of our
map series, but the database does not possess the functionality to
provide an electronic version of a query result that we are able to
distribute.  The best source available to external USGS patrons is a
book compiled by Riley Moore Moffat titled "Map Index to Topographic
Quadrangles of the United States, 1882-1940."  As of my last
recollection, this book was still available for purchase.

OP10  Map Index to Topographic Quadrangles of the United States,
1882-1940 by Riley Moore Moffat
LC# 84-21984
ISBN 0-939112-12-4
1986 Price $40.00 (US)

The last known source of purchase availability:

Julie Hoff
WAML Book and Sales Manager
Map Collection
Arizona State Library
1700 West Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007
Phone:  (602) 542-4343 or 6701
FAX: (602) 542-4400
Website: http://www.waml.org <http://www.waml.org/>
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

This publication can be requested for loan via a number international
libraries, two of which are located in Australia:

I hope this information will be of assistance.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Bruce Wallace
USGS Reston Library
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive