From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:09:58 -0600
Subject:        help with a reference question
Date:   Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:22:49 -0800 (PST)
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     geonet <[log in to unmask]>, MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     [log in to unmask]

Hi, all,

Apologies for cross listing.

I have received the following reference request from Mr. Bearss at the National Academy of Sciences that was given to him by one of their scientists.  As I don't believe I can add the attachment to either list, I will describe what he's looking for here.  If any of you know of a resource/article that would be of use, please let him know.

The scientist has used the graph from the following paper showing biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities, "Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities" by Norman Myers, et al., Nature, vol. 403, 24 Feb. 2000, pg. 853-858.  S/he has added information from "Hansen, et al. 2005" (can't find from this citation) that shows in graphical format the latitudinal biodiversity gradients for mammals, amphibians and threatened bird species.

The question is if there are estimates of human population size and percentage of agricultural-urban land by latitude bands to add to the graph?  They are not sure the data exists for number of extinctions over the past 100 years by latitude.

If anyone is willing and interested in taking this on, I'd be happy to forward the pdf directly to you.  I didn't have any good ideas for him.

Thanks, all,

Julie

<snip>

Ms. Sweetkind:

I sincerely appreciate your help on this.  Attached is the pdf scanned document.  The question is on the right side of the page: Comment (a1)

I apologize for my poor handwriting.  I have attached two pages from the report that may assist you in explaining what is needed for the graft (Figure 2.2.)

Again, I sincerely appreciate your help.

Sincerely:

Daniel H. Bearss
Senior Research Librarian
George E. Brown, Jr. Library
National Academy of Sciences
500 Fifth Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
202-334-2118
202-334-1651 (fax)

***
Julie Sweetkind-Singer
Head Librarian; GIS & Map Librarian
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
Stanford University
397 Panama Mall; MC 2211
Stanford, CA 94305
(650)725-1102