From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:13:35 -0600
Subject:        old map making technology?
Date:   Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:48:29 -0800
From:   Ernest H. Stegeman <[log in to unmask]>

Dear People,
     I am wanting to mount a map using a cloth backing as was done in
years past. I have a 1962 Denoyer-Geppert school display map of Africa
as an example. It has cloth backing and is glued to a wooden spring
roller at the top. At the bottom the backing cloth extends downward 7-8"
and, it and the bottom 1/2" of map is fronted by an impregnated cover
cloth (perhaps "oilcloth"). The very bottom of this layered cloth is
sandwiched between the halves of a 3/4" wooden dowel (with pull ring).
     Can you tell me:
(1) what kind of glue was used?
(2) what king of cloth was used, especially the bottom front?
(3) where I might find more information about this older map mounting
technology?
Sincerely,
Ernest