From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:32:47 -0600
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Paige Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:07:54 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: Denoyer Geppert map determining date

Dorothy,

Its been my experience that most of these early- to mid-twentieth
century Denoyer-Geppert wall maps don't have explicit copyright
and/or publication dates on them. That said, I also know that
probably the majority of them have been cataloged and copy is on
OCLC's Worldcat, as Robert indicates below. That said, whenever you
are faced with a map lacking dates, there's always a few other things
to try before giving up and either putting in something as broad as a
century date or not dates at all in your records. Something like what
you have, a map showing the theaters of war during WWII at least
tells you that the map had to have been created during or after that
war. And, with some close look at what the geographic areas are in
terms of political names and boundaries, you can often narrow these
kinds of maps down to at least a decade. Take a close look at the
bib. records you find on OCLC via title, scale, and size and you
probably will be able to either determine fairly certainly matching
copy, or copy that is very close to what you have in hand that can be
downloaded to your system and then edited to match what you have in
hand (in which case you can do broader guessing on dates if needed).

By the way, other types of maps lacking dates, most often city maps,
lend themselves to being dated at least at the decade level by
looking at illustrations and/or pictures of things like cars, style
of dress, and hair styles. And look for indications of dates in
things like advertisements, e.g., I have been able to date a map
through a single advertisement for a business of company that tells
its founding date and then another statement indicating a 50th or
75th or similar anniversary, lists of events that sometimes have a
year included, and even indexes to cities and towns that indicate
which census (speaking of U.S. maps here) the accompanying population
figures were derived from.

Paige