From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:57:08 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Michael Fry" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:41:50 PM
Subject: Re: query about BLM maps

Robert,

I was and still am on board with the requirement that Regionals keep copies of everything, but I've never understood why *all* copies of *that particular title* should be retained. They appear in the Superseded List as "Discard if revised", but they are also marked with the "R", which indicates that they are supposed to be retained for long term public access not by legal requirement of Title 44, but by "a consensus agreement of the Regionals."

As a former map librarian at a Regional, I've always had reservations about the logic behind that "R". It makes no sense to me that Regionals should have to keep every edition of, say, every Nevada Minerals Management map they ever get but *don't* have to keep old editions of even their own state's 7.5-minute maps, which, from my East Coast seat, are far more widely used (and useful) for historical purposes than anything the BLM has ever produced. I'm not arguing that old BLMs don't have a use. I *am* arguing that if, years ago, "the Regionals" decided to agree, outside the scope of Title 44, that some add'l titles were worth keeping, these BLM maps wouldn't have been at the top of my list. Or even close. The requirement might make a lot more sense in BLM states, and if that's the case then this "consensus agreement" should be flexible enough to allow other Regionals to adjust as appropriate.

In short, I would raise this with your Regional librarian and see if s/he agrees that the "consensus agreement of the Regionals" is reasonably understood as a suggestion rather than a requirement. If your collection is like U-Md.'s was/is, you have maps cases overflowing with BLM maps that nobody ever looks at. It's a waste of space and labor.

$.03

mf

--
Michael Fry