From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 07:56:15 -0600
Subject:        [ANZMapS] USGS 30' and 60' graphic indexes completed!
Date:   Sat, 6 Nov 2010 06:01:14 +0000
From:   Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To:     mapsL <[log in to unmask]>, AMC <[log in to unmask]>

Last week I sought a paper or digital index to USGS 1:125,000 map sheets.

Riley Moffat's book  ("Map Index to Topographic quadrangles of the United States 1882-1940", WAML Occassion pub #10), lists all 60' (250k), 30' (125k) and 7.5' (62.5k) quads produced by the USGS. for each state, it lists the published maps alphabetically by name.

Likewise his graphic indexes are state by state, and show all 3 scales of map on the same index.

Using Moffat's graphic indexes as a guide, I have drawn up separate indexes for the 60' and the 30' series, scaled to fit on an A3 sheet of paper, and so the sheets are not named, just their extents indicated.

These two indexes are available from me as Coreldraw files (60kb) , and also as 300dpi greyscale jpgs (700-900kb).
Unfortunately 300dpi tifs are, at 11.5MB, too large to email.
I can also export from Coreldraw into other formats, but as I don't use them, I can't say how well they turn out.

If anyone would like me to email copies of these index files, please email me offlist.

Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Map Curator
Map Section
National Library of Australia