From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:22:54 -0600
Subject: OCLC QC Tip - How can I get a list of all the original
cataloging our         institution has done by year
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:32:53 -0500
From: Goodson,Luanne <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

The new and improved OCLC QC Tips will now be arriving whenever we have
something to share, rather than waiting for the beginning of a new
month.

Many of these will be the result of questions we have recently answered
from an individual (rewritten so there will be no way to identify the
questioner or their institution).

So, if you prefer not to post to OCLC-CAT or other OCLC lists, but think
other list members might appreciate your question just include a note in
your question to [log in to unmask] and we will consider turning it into a
Tip.

Q) How can I get a list of all the original cataloging our institution
has done by year?

A) Searching in Connexion "cs=[OCLC Symbol]" in command line or in the
dropdown menus (with cs being Cataloging source) will retrieve all the
records contributed by that Symbol to WorldCat.  (Your OCLC Symbol
appears at the top of a bibliographic record in the message about
holdings.  So cs=NLM would bring up records where NLM appears in field
040 $a or $c).

Those numbers can be quite high for some institutions, the National
Library of Medicine included.  So more limiting may be needed.  One way
of limiting is the relatively new "Date created as MARC" index.  The
index label is "dm:" and it searches the Entered date in the OCLC Fixed
Field (008/00-05).

So to see all the records created as MARC by the US National Library of
Medicine so far this year the search would be "cs=NLM and dm:2013*"
which brings up 32 records.

You could also limit by Material Type (mt:) or by Language of item (la:)
to create subsets of your original records.

We encourage you to explore Searching WorldCat Indexes:
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/searching/searchworld
catindexes/default.htm.  Many less common indexes are extremely useful
for different situations and needs.  Moreover, if you want to find the
index label for a search that would hit on a specific field just use the
find command in the browser you are using.

More questions? please email [log in to unmask]

Luanne Goodson
WorldCat Quality & Partner Content Dept.