From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:58:13 -0600
Subject: Japanese WW2 maps
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:15:22 +0000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

The NLA has about 200 WW2 Japanese maps of Malaya, the Dutch East
Indies, New Guinea, and some Pacific Islands.

The Malayan and Borneo sheets (50k of Riau archipelago and 100k series
of Malaya/Thailand and Borneo) have been indexed, but not catalogued.

The other sheets have been catalogued as a Special COllection,
http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4397710
and individually
(eg Kokoda track)
http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4367659

for a full listing see
http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Browse/Callnumbers?browse=callnumbers&from=map+jap.+mil.&page=0
and the next 4 pages.

I'm not sure about the provenance, but no doubt it's in our files.

None of these maps have been scanned yet.

Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Map Curator
Map Section
National Library of Australia